Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What is this time of year really about?

I took a little break from my 30 day posts - days 3 & 4 are below.

The true meaning of Christmas is to celebrate that our Lord and Saviour was born to a virgin mother and put on this earth for the sole reason to save us from our sins.  Christian's are on earth for the sole purpose to show the love of Christ to others so they will come to know the Lord.  I will be the first one to admit that this is not always an easy task for me.  I try to show the love of Christ in my everyday actions, but being human and all, I do fall short of the glory of God. 

In saying all of that, when the idea came up at work to help sponsor of family in need this Christmas season, I was totally on board, and Joseph too I might add.  It really got me thinking that I am so glad we have all decided not to give gifts to each other and pour everything we can into things that this family needs and wants.  It also makes me happy that my extended family decided several years ago to draw names instead of 15 people buying gifts for everyone.  That gives us the chance to use that extra money to put towards those who need it more than we do.

This family is a single mother is a victim of domestic violence who has 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl.  They are living in an apartment with a $400 rent and mom makes $480 a month.  Recently their electricity was turned off and it's in the 30s and 40s at night here.  So we have about 15 people from 2 different firms getting together and donating money to her electric account and buying food and clothes, donating used clothes, blankets, dishes, pots and pans.....basically covering all "staples" and immediate needs.  In addition to the "needs" the family has, we are also gathering things that the children want for Christmas so that they have something to open on Christmas morning.  We also got a new pre-lit Christmas tree and ornaments.  I can't tell you how amazing this is!  Everyone is fully on board.  I am truly glad that we will be able to bless this family.

Please pray that this family will be able to stay warm and healthy during this winter season.